Sunday, November 5, 2017

That was the night before Christmas

In the past, I was always one of those people who was not in favor of Christmas songs and decorations coming before Thanksgiving, Most people fit into one of the two camps on that. But when I married my wife, it would have been hard to not absorb some of the year-round Christmas spirit. She loves everything about the Christmas time of year, from the music, to the movies, to the gifts, to the family time, to the focus on Christ.

I grew up in a family where Christ was undoubtedly preeminent, but the Christmas celebration was not a big focus. I would get irritated when people would start singing Christmas songs or do Christmas shopping before Thanksgiving. I was Charlie Brown, thinking Christmas was too commercialized. Well, it is, as we all know. But I've changed.

This afternoon after lunch I asked the boys to clean the living room. Of course that set off all kinds of weeping and wallowing in pity. And I was going to put Pandora on the TV, which they thoroughly do not enjoy. I asked TJ what he wanted, and he wanted Christmas music. So I set it to the Toby Mac Holiday channel. I loved singing along.

I've come to realize that for a Christian, a follower of Christ, Christmas is all year long. Joy fills my heart when I sing those songs, the songs that remind us that God almighty came in the flesh to save us, you and me. The most unlikely of circumstances changed everything for humanity.

During the cleaning time, a song came on that I think beautifully tells the story. The night before Christmas, there was no hope. Then Hope arrived.


Empty manger,
Perfect stranger,
About to be born.
Into darkness, sadness,
Desperate madness, creation so torn.
We were so lost on earth,
No peace, no worth.
No way to escape.
In fear, no faith, no hope,
No grace, and no light
But that was the night before Christmas.
Warm hay, cold sweat, a mother, not yet.
Praying godspeed the dawn.
She looks to her man, holding her hand.
They wonder how long.
And the shepherds,
Wise men come to find them,
And bow to a king.
One star above shining on love,
So bright it lit up the night before Christmas. 
And the world didn't know mercy was meek and so mild.
And the world didn't know that truth was as pure as a child.
The night before Christmas.
The night before Christmas. 
And the world didn't know,
Redemption was sweet and so strong.
And the world didn't know salvation was writing a song.
The night before christmas.
The night before christmas.
The night before christmas.
Empty manger, perfect stranger, about to be born.
So, celebrate Christmas anytime and all the time. Take joy in the arrival of Jesus all year long. Don't forget to have a thankful heart at Thanksgiving, and always. But, Jesus, he made the difference, and that should on the forefront of our thoughts. If you don't know Him, I wish you would. 

No comments:

Post a Comment